La Vieille Rue, St Sampson's, GY2 4YR
A large detached Victorian house of stone construction under slate roofs with later extensions situated on a large private plot in a quiet lane towards the north of the island and within easy reach of the golf course and sandy beaches.
Throughout the present ownership the house has been systematically upgraded and modernised including the rebuilding of the garage and pool block, the construction of the conservatory and extensive internal re-fittings and garden landscaping.
In the 6th century, Guernsey’s patron saint, Samson of Dol, had a church built where he first came ashore and where the parish church now stands, dating from 1111.
Industries have thrived in St Sampson’s, but its busy harbour is loosening its blue collar as alternative forms of energy are introduced and cloud-based industries take over. Private leisure boats moor in a marina where coal and timber were once shipped ashore and planners have earmarked the island’s second town for rejuvenation.
Delancey Park is its highpoint and L’Islet shows another side of the parish with a sandy beach and shops, including M&S food hall.
A smaller, detached section of St Sampson’s lies on the northwest coast, with an easier approach to town and to parish life in general.Read our parish guide